When Do You Need a Cosmetic Dentist?
Back in the day, we simply had the option of visiting a regular dentist – if we were lucky, that is. While this did expand a few decades ago to include a few more dental fields, it’s nothing to what we have access to now. In this day and age, with so many different types of dentistry options available, we run the risk of getting confused about who to see for what dental issue.
Considering that cosmetic dentistry is becoming more and more popular, we thought this would be the opportune moment to clarify things. This way, you can better understand your options and talk to us about the challenges you face whenever it’s time to talk, eat in public, and smile.
4 Things to know about cosmetic dentistry:
- What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
- The Different Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
- How is Cosmetic Dentistry Different to General Dentistry?
- Why Would You Visit a Cosmetic Dentist?
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Let’s get straight to it. Cosmetic dentistry focuses on addressing dental aesthetics, either through a minor procedure or major surgery. At Shine Dental Clinic, our cosmetic dentists take the time during a consultation to listen to you, examine your teeth and mouth in whatever way is best, and explain the treatment option that’s right for you.
In this way, we aim to repair worn, discoloured, broken, chipped, misshapen, and stained teeth, as well as fix dental gaps. We want you to have the smile you deserve.
The Different Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry concentrates on giving you a smile makeover, restoring your confidence, and improving your life. Our cosmetic dentists are experts when it comes to a variety of cosmetic procedures.
These are the cosmetic dental treatments we offer at Shine Dental Clinic.
- Teeth whitening options:
- Zoom Whitening: In one visit we can whiten your teeth by up to six shades in one hour through the application of a whitening gel to your teeth, activated by a white speed lamp.
- Enlighten Whitening: Using an impression tray made to fit, we whiten your teeth with a two-week application of gel that you can complete at home, followed by a one-hour session in the chair at the clinic.
- Teeth straightening options:
- The Six-Month Smiles System: A safe, discreet, comfortable, and speedy cosmetic solution that can effectively straighten your teeth, on average, in 6 months. We typically suggest this option to treat crooked or spaced teeth.
- Invisalign: A series of clear, removable aligners designed to move your teeth into the desired position. They’re virtually invisible, with no wires and less discomfort, which you can remove to eat and continue with your oral hygiene.
- Crowns, onlays, inlays, and veneers:
- Crowns: Dental caps that we fit over a decayed or damaged tooth to prevent it from breaking or to cover misshapen or severely discoloured teeth.
- Inlays: An indirect filling that’s bonded in the center of the tooth, which we use when a tooth is too decayed to support a typical filling.
- Onlays: Also an indirect filling, but the type that covers one or more parts of the tooth or covers the tooth’s entire surface. We use this to preserve more of the tooth’s natural surface while still strengthening and restoring the tooth after decay or deterioration.
- Veneers: These are thin, white shells made from medical-grade porcelain, resin, or ceramic, which we customise so that it resembles your natural teeth and improves the appearance of your teeth.
- Chipped, discoloured teeth solutions:
- Composite Build-Up: Also called dental bonding, this non-invasive and painless solution treats chipped, discoloured, or uneven teeth using a type of resin-based dental material to restore the surface, shape, and colour of your teeth. It’s also a quick and affordable cosmetic treatment.
- Dental Microabrasion: A restoration technique we use to correct tooth discolouration by treating the enamel and helping to remove surface stains and marks from the teeth.
How is Cosmetic Dentistry Different to General Dentistry?
You might be asking yourself, why can’t a regular dentist perform these cosmetic dental treatment options? It’s a fair question, with a simple answer.
General dentistry addresses dental problems associated with oral hygiene, dental pain, and discomfort. We’re talking procedures like tooth extraction, root canals, and cavity filling. While a cosmetic dentist has the same basic training as a general dentist and can perform all necessary procedures that a general dentist can, they are also trained to provide treatments and solutions that concentrate on how your teeth will look afterwards.
Why Would You Visit a Cosmetic Dentist?
Don’t be fooled by the idea of what cosmetic dentistry means. It’s certainly not about being shallow about your looks. Not at all. Cosmetic procedures are for people with damaged, decaying, crooked, or discoloured teeth. This may cause them to have difficulty eating and speaking. And yes, these issues may also affect their self-esteem, which affects their mental health and general wellbeing.
Here are a few examples for why you would see a cosmetic dentist instead of a general dentist:
- Tooth decay
- Damage (cracks, chips, etc.)
- Crooked teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Missing teeth
Discover Shine Dental Clinic
If your teeth are bothering you and you’re dissatisfied with your smile, don’t let the problem get worse. One of our cosmetic dentists can help you find the right treatment to help improve the condition and appearance of your mouth, teeth, gums, and overall smile.
We’re here to care for you.
To book your appointment with Shine Dental Clinic, call us on 01420 550616.